Friday, June 18, 2010

If You've Got It Flaunt It


If you’ve got it flaunt it. That is a statement Tom said to me many years ago. I don’t remember the exact context, but let’s just say that it’s not my style to flaunt.



Yet once a year I bask in flaunting. Flaunting the peonies that come in waves from our garden. I luxuriate in the early morning collection of peonies. Also the collecting of other flowers or greens ripe for mixing into lush bouquets. It’s the one time a year when I can understand Tom’s love of getting up early, doing his work while the world is quiet and fresh. The cool damp air gives me time to handle the flowers without the need for water. They sit out on the porch while I wander around looking for more filler, something spiky, just two more stems of blue or chartreuse. Just thinking the word chartreuse as I wander around makes me happy.



All this and the best part is yet to come. Imagine the great sense of satisfaction to be had as I go around the neighborhood delivering these grand bouquets.


I’ll never bake cookies, and rarely remember the actual date of their birthdays, but once a year I get to delight my neighbors and friends as I indulge myself in flaunting The Great Abundance.  This is one of the sweetest rewards born of our years of work in this amazing garden.

PS  If you are a peony, chances are that you are raised in either the American Midwest or in France. (This must be peony’s attraction to Tom). We already know of two amazing peony farms in France. This fall we will begin the passionate pursuit of replacing our collection. Next fall we will head over to the holy grail of Rivoire Peonies. If you are a French peony chances are you were created here. Chasing peonies and traveling in France. Now there is something to look forward to!

No comments: